Facebook Google+ Twitter
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TVCatchup extremely slow and won't load streams on RaspBMC

Question TVCatchup extremely slow and won't load streams on RaspBMC

Hi,

I've got RaspBMC up and running on my new model b Pi (the 512mb version). It's set up and working perfectly, including with other plugins (eg: iPlayer, 4Od etc). However the TVCatchup 2 (latest version) plugin is unusably slow.

Launching the TVCatchup plugin takes 2 - 4 mins before the background for the EPG loads, and it takes about another 2 - 4 mins before the first page of channels appear. Moving down the EPG with USB keyboard or remote control takes 30 - 60 seconds to move from one channel to the next, and switching between pages often doesn't work at all. I can't get TVCatchup to actually show a stream.

I've rebuilt RaspBMC a couple of times, I've removed and updated the plugins and googled for a solution but to no luck. I've used the EPG update option in the TVCatchup plugin settings to download an update - this takes about 30 mins, but completes successfully. It still doesn't fix the actual plugin problem though.

I don't know how to diagnose this further. I've got another XBMC box (intel based) that also has TVCatchup, and this works perfectly. One point to note is that the EPG download on this intel box is done in a minute or 2, compared to the 30+mins it takes on the Pi.

I've reduced all the plugin settings down to their minimums (eg: 2 day EPG, smallest video quality) and it doesn't help. I get the same issue via wired LAN and wifi, so it's not a bandwith issue (eg confirmed ~ 70mbps wireless throughput). I'm using a Kingston class 4 8gb card that works perfectly and is fast.

The rest of RaspBMC - including other streaming plugins - works perfectly and at the speed I'd expect. I've used different microusb power adapters for the Pi, and also with a powered USB hub, so I'm confident that the issue is with TVCatchup plugin and not any other part of my system.

So as far as I can see I've eliminated every other variable...

Can anyone help diagnose please?

Thanks

Admin & TVCatchup Staff TVC_Colwal's Avatar

Chris the guy who wrote the plugin is stuck in a caravan in the middle of a field this weekend (I suppose someone has to) and I am sure when he gets back he will be able to help out.

I think there is a related subject here as well:
    random errors on rpi - raspbmc
    Tell us why you use TVCatchup and how? http://alturl.com/f88tv
    ☑ Saddam Hussein ☑ Osama Bin Laden ☑Muammar Gaddafi ☐ Bashar al-Assad ☐ JustinBieber ☐ One Direction ☑ JLS

My post's are rising :) redhawk's Avatar

There is a problem with Raspbmc and TVCatchup 2.0 EPG whether this is limited to certain PIs and memory cards I can't say.
    However I too have experienced sluggish behaviour while waiting for the TV listings to populate the whole screen.

Richard S.

You guys have reduced your epg haven't you?

I found it to be very slow untili reduced mine from 14days to 2...

Reducing the EPG does help but Raspbmc is insufferably slow on my PI even with 1 day EPG as the following video demonstrates:

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...rasp_tvc20.mp4

Other XBMC distros like OpenELEC and XBian have no such issues so it's puzzling why Raspbmc performs so badly.
    I'm not going to point the finger at TVCatchup or PI hardware there's definitely a problem lurking within Raspbmc's code.

Richard S.

Your video shows your system being slow from before tvcatchup even starts( the delay after clicking 'videos'), so im not sure where you draw the conclusion that the problem is with raspbmc and tvcatchup, IMO, your problem comes before that.

What I mean is, you can't expect TVCatchup to run well if you haven't got the fundamentals right to begin with...

I mentioned previously that SD cards and power supplies, while working fine with one distribution, may not work, or may exhibiit strange behaviour with others, even if they appear on the compatibility list (which isn't for raspbmc, xbian, or openelec) but you seemed adamant that the problem wasn't with your sd card... Perhaps if you'd tried with an alternative power supply and a high speed SD card I could negate those as a possible source of your problem, but otherwise im not ready to, especially after having seen that video.

furthermore ; upon testing the new version of the add on using xbian, I note that its still appears to be slow(the install otherwise works very well, quickly, and plays iplayer content and streaming from a nas no problem)
    Last edited by Walleee; 11-11-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by miccheck View Post
    Your video shows your system being slow from before tvcatchup even starts( the delay after clicking 'videos'), so im not sure where you draw the conclusion that the problem is with raspbmc and tvcatchup, IMO, your problem comes before that.

What I mean is, you can't expect TVCatchup to run well if you haven't got the fundamentals right to begin with...

I mentioned previously that SD cards and power supplies, while working fine with one distribution, may not work, or may exhibiit strange behaviour with others, even if they appear on the compatibility list (which isn't for raspbmc, xbian, or openelec) but you seemed adamant that the problem wasn't with your sd card... Perhaps if you'd tried with an alternative power supply and a high speed SD card I could negate those as a possible source of your problem, but otherwise im not ready to, especially after having seen that video.

furthermore ; upon testing the new version of the add on using xbian, I note that its still appears to be slow(the install otherwise works very well, quickly, and plays iplayer content and streaming from a nas no problem)
    miccheck, could you try a couple of things for me please if possible? Can you try turning off some of the channels you don't want from the settings and then try editing tv_grab_uk_rt_aps.conf, it can be found at .xbmc/addons/script.tvcatchup and turn some of the listings off from there too (you just need to change the = to a !) and see if that helps you any.
    For a free Open Source Media Center Solution for Windows, Linux and Mac check out XBMC

The home for TVCatchup's XBMC plugin is in the Official TVCatchup Repository. Download it Here

If you're having trouble with any of our plugins please visit here and submit your log to help us fix it.

The home for TVCatchup's Microsoft Media Center plugin is Here

im not sure where you draw the conclusion that the problem is with raspbmc and tvcatchup,
    I draw my own conclusion based on visual observations and experience when running OpenELEC, Xbian and Raspbmc side by side.
    If you want examples please check the following videos:

Xbian - http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...bian_tvc20.mp4
    OpenELEC - http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...elec_tvc20.mp4

Richard S.

The original video isn't accessible any more, so I can't compare how quickly the gui loads after clicking on videos, but I seem to remember the raspbmc one taking far too long, indicating a problem fundamentally with your raspbmc install, rather than specifically with tvcatchup.

ive seen improvements since the latest update, but not quite yet as good as it was...

The original video is still accessible it just takes a while to load for some reason.
    You can download it via http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...rasp_tvc20.mp4 if that helps.

Richard S.

Closed Thread