Facebook Google+ Twitter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TVC For Android???

Default TVC For Android???

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was any possibility of you ever writing a version or know of anyone developing a version of TVC that will work on Android, i.e. The Google G1 mobile phone. I see someone is working on an iPhone version, our OS supports streaming video as well, but the Apps available only ever show American content that is IP Locked.

Thanks!
    PP

Im sure its a possibility for the future, does Google Android allow Flash, if so you could just use the web browser to visit tvc and watch anyway...
    Adam H
    " You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment. "

Mac Guru & Moderator adammayall's Avatar

Android is one of the platforms to be supported by Adobe from October, although the HTC Hero (albeit branded differently on T-Mob, I think it's going to be the G1 Touch) will have flash on an altered version of Android (no Google branding) from July here in the UK.
    For once we're getting a phone release before the US

We will certainly be keeping an eye on it and seeing how well the hardware can cope with video streaming. That may be the determining factor, but fingers crossed!

All the best,
    Adam Mayall
    'Mac Guru' and resident tweeter.

Follow TVCatchup on Twitter | PulseMedia UK | Get live support | Email Me

--
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

Admin & TVCatchup Staff TVC_Colwal's Avatar

I actually emailed skyfire about this to see if it would run on Android G1 and this is the official response from Skyfire:

We currently support the Windows Mobile and Symbian S60 (3rd edition) platforms as outlined at the top of this FAQ. We are working to extend to new platforms and will make announcements as we reach these milestones, but in the meantime there is no specific timeframe to give you.

People often ask if Skyfire will run on these phones...

• Android G1: An important platform that we are keeping our eye on.
    • Apple iPhone: Nope. Still waiting for a call from Steve...
    • Blackberry: Not yet. It’s high on our list, we don't have a published release date yet. Stay tuned.
    • Palm OS phone: Palm OS phones are not supported, but Windows Mobile phones offered by Palm, such as certain Treo or the Palm Pro models, are fully supported.
    • Palm Pre: This phone is not even out yet, but we are eager to get our hands on it.
    • Samsung Instinct: This phone is not a Windows Mobile device and will not run Skyfire.
    • Other Symbian phones: We are concentrating on the Symbian S60 (3rd edition) phones. We have no plans to support Symbian S40 or S60 (2nd edition), or UIQ phones anytime soon.

Mobile and feature phones: Skyfire will not run on standard mobile or feature phones such as the Motorola Razr, Samsung Glyde and other lower-end devices
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

So basically no and it doesn't look very promising in the future, so as Adam says the Adobe support in October looks to be the most promising option here.
    Tell us why you use TVCatchup and how? http://alturl.com/f88tv
    ☑ Saddam Hussein ☑ Osama Bin Laden ☑Muammar Gaddafi ☐ Bashar al-Assad ☐ JustinBieber ☐ One Direction ☑ JLS

Oooh, skyfire!? I'd not heard of that one before... does that actually work on S60v3 to stream TVC with? Gonna have to install that on my Nokia then and give that a spin!

Hmm, interesting reading.. Thanks for your replies!

Well someone has made a iPlayer application for Android called "Beebplayer", doesn't tvcatchup use the same codecs as BBC iPlayer and YouTube? (but the constant streaming version)

Admin & TVCatchup Staff TVC_Colwal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecandylover View Post
    Well someone has made a iPlayer application for Android called "Beebplayer", doesn't tvcatchup use the same codecs as BBC iPlayer and YouTube? (but the constant streaming version)
    No TVCatchup streams in the H.264 codec that's why there is a higher quality stream on TVCatchup as compared to the BBC.
    Interestingly the BBC iPlayer has dropped its HD streams at this present moment in time.
    Tell us why you use TVCatchup and how? http://alturl.com/f88tv
    ☑ Saddam Hussein ☑ Osama Bin Laden ☑Muammar Gaddafi ☐ Bashar al-Assad ☐ JustinBieber ☐ One Direction ☑ JLS

You don't necessarily need an app for the iPlayer. The BBC have been Beta testing a mobile portal for content for a little while now on the sly... but you didn't hear that from me, right?

(Not guaranteed to work with your handset. Hence the Beta bit!)

I now own a HTC Hero. Trying to access the webplayer asks you to install Adobe. I'm actually posting this from the phone. However the phone will run most flash on browsers. Like any flash player guess you just need to change the flash to one that the phone supports.

+ Reply to Thread