Facebook Google+ Twitter

Thread: Can I watch yesterdays TV on TVCatchup?

Default Can I watch yesterdays TV on TVCatchup?

The name of this site "TVCatchup" suggests that TV shown on previos days is available to watch like the BBCi player. Am I mistaken or is this facility available and I have just not found it.

Admin & TVCatchup Staff TVC_Colwal's Avatar

Hi and welcome to TVCatchup.
    Lots of things going on here from competitors to TV talk so take a look around the forums and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    This was taken from our Site FAQs
    5. Why is TVCatchup not a catch up site as the name suggests?

TVCatchup pioneered the Network PVR, a form of digital video recorder like Sky+ that saved files on the user’s own account via their internet connection. This was withdrawn by the site pending a full review of the legal position in February 2008.

Whilst network PVRs are deemed legal in some of the countries in which we plan to be rolling out a service, the issue has not been legally challenged in the UK. Until it has been, it is anticipated that full-blown Sky+ functionality will be offered to all users in the form of a downloadable application.

6. But isn't the site name misleading?

No, because catchup is what the site was launched to do, what it did do and what it is intended will be doing again very soon.

Misleading is when you misdescribe a name for financial gain, such as calling yourself the British Broadcasting Corporation, when you spend a huge proportion of licence payer's money on developing non broadcast internet services and trying to influence the production of set top boxes. ("Broadcast" is defined as wireless broadcast in the Charter under which the BBC operates)
    Tell us why you use TVCatchup and how? http://alturl.com/f88tv
    ☑ Saddam Hussein ☑ Osama Bin Laden ☑Muammar Gaddafi ☐ Bashar al-Assad ☐ JustinBieber ☐ One Direction ☑ JLS

Accusing the BBC of giving themselves a misleading name because of iPlayer is a bit silly. iPlayer didn't exist when the company was founded in 1922, calling it a broadcaster then was perfectly reasonable, expecting them to rename the company because they branched out very slightly is not.

Quote Originally Posted by gari22 View Post
    Accusing the BBC of giving themselves a misleading name because of iPlayer is a bit silly. iPlayer didn't exist when the company was founded in 1922, calling it a broadcaster then was perfectly reasonable, expecting them to rename the company because they branched out very slightly is not.
    Well so is your response silly as you have totally washed over the objective of the comment.

I will repeat it for you and highlight the words:

Misleading is when you misdescribe a name for [HLIGHT]financial gain[/HLIGHT], such as calling yourself the British Broadcasting Corporation, when you spend a [HLIGHT]huge proportion of licence payer's money [/HLIGHT]on developing [HLIGHT]non broadcast internet services[/HLIGHT] and trying to influence the production of [HLIGHT]set top boxes[/HLIGHT]. ("Broadcast" is defined as wireless broadcast in the Charter under which the BBC operates)
    ☑ Saddam Hussein ☑ Osama Bin Laden ☑Muammar Gaddafi ☐ Bashar al-Assad ☐ JustinBieber ☐ One Direction ☑ JLS

They named the company in 1922. The name of the company not reflecting what the company does eighty-seven years on is not their fault, they can't change it now.

Plus they also do actually broadcast. People need to get off their back.

Amazing how people are too clouded by their own inherited idealisms that they still cannot see the original point of the statement !!! at-wits-end

Influence set top boxes. How? They are developing iplayer using license payees money when the license is not being paid for this. Just because most people would pay a fee for iplayer doesn't mean that it is right for BBC to do this.
    Please search the forums before posting

Dropbox - Secure online storage and backup
    TVC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    The name of this site "TVCatchup" suggests that TV shown on previos days is available to watch like the BBCi player. Am I mistaken or is this facility available and I have just not found it.
    To answer the original question, nope. Not at this time

To answer the additional comments about the BBC and its misleading name.
    If we return back to why the comment was made, it was in relation to TVCatchup "misleading" name.

Like the BBC, TVCatchup has changed its ways since the launch, you used to be able to watch old television, currently you only watch new.

The end paragraph is their to outline, things change.

Their is no hatred to BBC from me, I hope they do not change their name BBC is a world recognised brand. Oxford dictionary is also not going to re-define Broadcast.

We are TVCatchup. Im able to Catchup on Tv at work, on phone, in train, at mcdonalds. The name is apt, im happy.
    Adam H
    " You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment. "

People get on the back of the BBC because they are a publicly funded notoriously profligate corporation and supposed to be accountable to those of us who pay for their specious ventures into the world of bookpublishing, music sales, internet development and other activities that lie outside of their Royal Charter - which, incidentally, was last drafted on 1st January 2007 - less than 3 years ago, and not 87 years previously as stated. They are not a "company", they are supposed to be public servants.

Pointing out the facts does not make someone "silly", neither does it excuse inaccuracy or invite emotive riposte

This thread is not about the BBC, my personal opinion of their abuse of license payers money, the inaccuracy of their branding, accounting for our branding or the contents of our FAQs. The original question has been answered perfectly succinctly by an admin and spokesman of this site, that is our position, live with it

Thread closed
    TVC Administration
    ☑ ITV ☑ Chan 4 ☑Chan 5 ☑ SKY/BSB ☑ ABU QATADA ☐ COMMON SENSE