Facebook Google+ Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can I watch TVCatchup in USA?

Default Can I watch TVCatchup in USA?

Now that European access is available will there be access to watch TVC in the States?

Admin & TVCatchup Staff TVC_Colwal's Avatar

I'm afraid not.
    International copyright laws prevent this - still you never know what will happen in the future as the world is an ever shrinking place now.
    Tell us why you use TVCatchup and how? http://alturl.com/f88tv
    ☑ Saddam Hussein ☑ Osama Bin Laden ☑Muammar Gaddafi ☐ Bashar al-Assad ☐ JustinBieber ☐ One Direction ☑ JLS

Angry Out of curiosity, 2 things.

1) I am a resident of both the UK and the US, and i pay for my license should i not be entitled to watch TV from wherever i am, and 2 if most of my funds for my license go to the TVLA (BBC) why do you have paid advertisements on those channels (bbc's etc), those channels are "advertisement free" on Live TV and the BBC IPLAYER because its already paid for, If you want to put content on the web for "free" should the viewers be subjected to advertising that wouldnt usually be there.. I understand you have to pay for the upkeep of the site and your "staff" but i also see your speeches about the "laws" and "whats right and whats wrong" dont you feel in the least contradictive.
    Is it because your taking the signal legally or illegally im not up on that one, and redirecting it to the public on a different medium, Is that lawful and if not why would it be unlawful to transmit the media overseas.
    One more thing, do you recieve HULU in the UK or any US TV Sites, if so im curious, not that you could answer of course but why the US Government/broadcasters whoever, would be so stupid as to agree to a one way deal.

Thanks for your time and effort, Please no smarmy comebacks im asking legitimate questions here.

I could be a little wrong with this but.

The BBC does not have the rights to show programs outside of the UK(or should that be soon outside EU member states?) So thay started the BBC worldwide side of things to sell shows to the US and other places.

I'm not going to talk about the adverts.

TVC just like SKY or any UK cable company can legally retransmit the channels as thay are live or as close to live as the systems can resend it out but must also follow UK broadcasting laws that state thay can't be sent outside of the UK(soon to change to outside EU member states?).

Well we can enter HULU and other US TV sites in the UK the on demand streams are geo blocked to the US.

You may want to wait for a reply from someone with a lot more knowledge.
    The best defence is a strong offense, and I intend to start offending right now.

Quote Originally Posted by davidr11 View Post
    1) I am a resident of both the UK and the US, and i pay for my license should i not be entitled to watch TV from wherever i am, and 2 if most of my funds for my license go to the TVLA (BBC) why do you have paid advertisements on those channels (bbc's etc), those channels are "advertisement free" on Live TV and the BBC IPLAYER because its already paid for, If you want to put content on the web for "free" should the viewers be subjected to advertising that wouldnt usually be there.. I understand you have to pay for the upkeep of the site and your "staff" but i also see your speeches about the "laws" and "whats right and whats wrong" dont you feel in the least contradictive.
    Is it because your taking the signal legally or illegally im not up on that one, and redirecting it to the public on a different medium, Is that lawful and if not why would it be unlawful to transmit the media overseas.
    One more thing, do you recieve HULU in the UK or any US TV Sites, if so im curious, not that you could answer of course but why the US Government/broadcasters whoever, would be so stupid as to agree to a one way deal.

Thanks for your time and effort, Please no smarmy comebacks im asking legitimate questions here.
    If you wish to address why you cannot receive this service in the US then take it up with your local MP not us, as we don't necessarily agree with the laws of the land but we certainly have to abide by them.

The same goes for US visitors to our land who cannot watch US shows in the UK because international copyright law prevents this - and by the way in the UK we cannot receive HULU or any other US shows direct as they are geo-blocked so in fact it is not a "one way deal", as it is an international "deal".

The adverts are there for the sole reason of helping to keep the site free and open for all, and so why on earth should we feel that there is a contradiction in the service we provide?
    ☑ Saddam Hussein ☑ Osama Bin Laden ☑Muammar Gaddafi ☐ Bashar al-Assad ☐ JustinBieber ☐ One Direction ☑ JLS

The License Fee does not cover TVCatchup 'davidr11', hence the ads, which quite frankly don't intrude upon anything because the channels need to buffer sufficiently before transmission anyway.

Foreign content is no more permitted here in the UK through services such as Hulu, than our distribution is permitted over there in the States.

I hear you about how irritating all that can be, but 'them's the rules'.
    Leon

SIMPLE!!! Change browser/OS setting to UK. DONE. I will need that advice when i go to the states.

Quote Originally Posted by lukeme99 View Post
    SIMPLE!!! Change browser/OS setting to UK. DONE. I will need that advice when i go to the states.
    You can only wish it was that simple. It's got nothing to do with browser settings, it's to do with the IP you are using and only proper UK ones from bona fide UK ISP's are valid on our service, sorry.
    For a free Open Source Media Center Solution for Windows, Linux and Mac check out XBMC

The home for TVCatchup's XBMC plugin is in the Official TVCatchup Repository. Download it Here

If you're having trouble with any of our plugins please visit here and submit your log to help us fix it.

The home for TVCatchup's Microsoft Media Center plugin is Here

Quote Originally Posted by lukeme99 View Post
    This will not work at all as we have strict geo-blocking on the service.

Not only do TVC not have the authorization to publicise UK channels overseas, many broadcasters don't have the additional license they need to have international broadcast (as it' more cost effective). P.S In addition to what has been said, any website/purchase claiming to give you overseas broadcasting is fake and/or illegal.