Facebook Google+ Twitter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need TV license to watch TVCatchup.com?

Default Do I need TV license to watch TVCatchup.com?

I'm at uni. so would I need to have a tv license to watch TV on this site?

Please see link in signature

Viewers (in the UK) are required to be in possession of a TV licence for viewing programmes as they are being broadcast. It is not our job to police such issues, neither do we hold any personal information that would enable anyone else to do so.
    TVC Administration
    ☑ ITV ☑ Chan 4 ☑Chan 5 ☑ SKY/BSB ☑ ABU QATADA ☐ COMMON SENSE

Ok thanks, This website is great though but I guess I cant use it cos I cant afford to pay for tv license. I recently got a letter from tv license at uni and they are saying I would need a tv license to watch live tv or record from live tv.

Well, as I understand, if your family at your normal place of residence has a tv licence and you're watching on a device which works on self contained batteries (e.g. a latop) then your home licence could well over you

From:http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/conditions.jsp

What does your licence allow?

The licence allows installation and use of TV equipment:

at the licensed premises by anyone.
    in a vehicle, boat or caravan by:

You and anyone who normally lives with You at the licensed place (so long as TV equipment is not being used in a non-touring caravan and at the licensed place at the same time).
    anyone, who normally works at the licensed place (so long as the vehicle, boat or caravan is being used for a business purpose).

Use of TV equipment powered by internal batteries anywhere:
    by You and anyone who normally lives with You at the licensed place.
    TVC Administration

well there is a section on the tv license website that says if you are watching tv on a laptop would require me to have a tv license. My parents at home already have a tv license so does this means I can watch tv on my laptop?

Well, it all comes down to whether you feel you can reasonably argue that you normally live with your parents at the licensed premises. I believe it comes down to several things, including what address is shown as being your home on the electoral register.

Been a little while since I was in halls, but I remember a fellow law student sucessfully arguing that the television set he had been watching was the property of another student (who had a licence) who had temporarily brought his set into his room to watch because the signal was better! The TV licensing people dropped the case rather promptly, presumably because they didn't want this defence to beome published.

Personally I would have thought it rather hard for anyone to prove that anyone else was viewing TV on a laptop.

Presumably you could record TV using a freely available program such as Orbit Downloader on your laptop in the room of a licensed friend, then play it back legally in your own room? As you only require a licence to watch TV as it is being broadcast, you should be OK

Best bet is to save up or beg parents. Christmas is coming, usually plenty of opportunity to get a job as a casual postal worker. The threat of that usually persuades parents to chip in if they can afford to.
    TVC Administration

Thanks for the advice Daniel. Hmmm I also got a letter at uni threatening me with a fine of 1000 if I don't have my details registered for election purposes at the new town I am now staying. I'm not sure but I think I might be already registered under the electoral with my home in london. There is no way I am going to pay for TV license. I do have a TV but never use it for watchin or recording live TV. I just use it for gaming and DVDs. I dont think they can prove that I watch TV on my laptop if the TV on my laptop is streamed so I just have to be careful. I dont stream live TV though but Hmm sometimes maybe I want to watch TV which I rarely have the time to watch.

Not advice, just thoughts. Obviously the decision is yours to take, you have to weigh up the risks and the consequences for yourself I'm afraid.

On the TV issue, if you have one that is even capable of watching a live broadcast, that is sufficient to justify prosecution, so take care
    TVC Administration

There is one thing I find interesting about this, considering this is being streamed over the net. The tools the people use to monitor "non-tv license holders" will be redundant, as we're not recieveing these signals wirelessly or through their own medium.

So yeah, a TV license may be required, but so would a new toolset to see where these are being watched from.

Interesting.

Does the uni not have a licence,

If your living at the uni campus in a kind of dorm or something or whatever they call it now Then they will have a licence,

Best thing to do is go and ask to see if they do have one, That must surly cover it?

+ Reply to Thread