Facebook Google+ Twitter

Thread: channel 5 Big Brother - can we watch it live on TV Catch Up?

Question channel 5 Big Brother - can we watch it live on TV Catch Up?

Hello everyone...new to TV Catch up...the title suggests that this is not live...I have just been experimenting with channel 5 and comparing it to my tv and seemed to only be a 5 minute delay? Is this the case with all programmes...Big Brother on channel 5 for instance? Thanks any help or advice gratefully received.

TVC Movie Dude & Mod aka Mr Elliecat or The Stig happycabbage's Avatar

Hi jannyk, and welcome to TVCatchup Yes, all our streams are live as you would find them on TV (see number 5 in the site faq for more info on the name) so you'll be able to follow Big Brother as it all happens here!
    NextFilm.co.uk/TVCatchup - All Films Coming To TVC This Week!
    Lost or looking for something? Try the Site Index, Search or FAQ pages.

Thank you so much that's absolutely brilliant!!! I was googling and up popped TVCatchup! Thanks for the very quick response too....my daughter will be able to watch BB now as it happens...they can't get channel 5 on freeview TV or Free Sky!!! (London area)

Administrator

You should be able to pick up Channel 5 on Freesat or Freesat from Sky, it's only those who are limited to terrestrial only who can't get channel 5 in certain regions

If you are using a sky box without a viewing card you wont be able to get channel 5 has this channel is currently encrypted for sky, however there is a way to watch channel 5 without a viewing card, its the beam used for freesat, which can be picked up by sky boxes, its a bit of a long way round but it is possible, heres how;

Q. Can I watch Channel 5 without a Sky viewing card?
    A. Channel 5 is currently transmitted in several regional variations. The programme content is the same and only the local advertising varies. Most of the variations are encrypted, but one is not. This is the non-regional version used by Freesat (and by generic free-to-air boxes) but it can be picked up by a Sky digibox by adding it to Other Channels. The tuning details are 10773, H, 22, 5/6. However the other members of the Channel 5 family, Fiver and Five USA, are both encrypted and therefore cannot be received except by a Sky box with a valid viewing card. Note that this manual addition will make Channel 5 available to anyone with a Sky box without the need for a viewing card but it won't be accessible through the EPG, only by going to Other Channels.

to set up press services on your sky remote choose add channels and input the info above, find the channel 5 listing, press your yellow button to save, and when you want to view ch5 press services, go to other channels,look for the listing for ch5 then press the select button and ch5 should be there, however there will be no epg listing for this and the search and scan banner will only show the current programme being broadcast, and am sorry but ch5 HD is not available this way although ITV4 plus 1 hour is,I do not have the details to hand but if anyone wants to add this to there sky box let me know and I will dig out the details, I have checked and all this is legal only sky dont want you to know.

Footnote ITV4 +1 is not a HD channel, just the channel ITV dropped when it introduced its HD channels.

Thank you so much for that info on channel 5 I will check with my daughter whether she has a viewing card for the box or not (I suspect not) if she does though she should be able to get channel 5 through the sky box? I have a very old sky viewing card here would that work in her box (different area to me) or not? Now to my next problem don't know if you can help, she has a small netbook to watch (very small screen) and I was wondering if we could connect the netbook to her tv...she has taken photos of both connections on netbook (think it's an eec/eee) and tv but they are both different is that a problem do you know and is connecting the two difficult? Thanks for all your help and advice.
    Last edited by jannyk; 15-08-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: left an important word out (tv)

The viewing card you have may work, depends on how old, periodically sky issue all its subscribers with new cards and the old ones are then turned off by sky making the old card useless, however it is possible to purchase a new freesat from sky viewing card from sky, it costs around 25 and there are no other charges to pay until sky decide to issue new cards, typically this is usually around every ten years or so, further info here http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/faq/.

further to the area issue of your old card, if it does still work the BBC and ITV regional channels will be the ones for your old region that will take their place on the epg and not for the region you are curently in, sky encrypt their cards using the postcode and this is what determines which regional TV programmes your box will recieve.